The DUCT 2013 Calendar has been published. The artworks included are featured below. Pandora Long reports:
The most amazing things happen when we talk ‘Heart to Heart’ about the issues that are facing us. Even more so when that conversation opens with children who bring a new energy and innovative ideas forward to clear the cobwebs of old thinking away.
A calendar with a difference! An environmental agenda for 2013 that will sweep Msunduzi/uMngeni clean, uniting one another in caring for our rivers and caring for our land. “Show love and care for our environment” says thirteen year old artist Msawenkozi Mthembu of Caluza Primary, reminding us of an age old teaching that is the fundamental lesson for ensuring both human and environmental health and well-being.
This years Duzi uMgeni Trust’s (DUCT) annual ‘Mayday for Rivers’ Art and Cutural Campaign provided just that opportunity to show we care!
Over 350 works from primary schools all over Pietermaritzburg and Howick interpreted the campaign concept ‘Sometimes when it rains’ and collectively raised their heads, hands and hearts for a beautiful, clean and healthy environment. Liberty Midlands Mall supported the campaign by making display space available during their ‘Re*Think’ week in October.
This special calendar project has been made possible by the Liberty Midlands Mall Management through their sponsorship of 100 calendars and local company, Minuteman Press’s contribution to graphic design and print requirements. Other sponsors who through their valued sponsorship have made the campaign possible include Hulamin, Jettison Timbers, Dave Moore, Minuteman Press, Ronnocco Nursery and WESSA Sharenet and Pietermaritzburg Eco-Schools.
The proceeds of the calendar project will go to fund the DUCT education programme in 2013. Thanks go to those schools that lead the way in making the education of our children around environmental issues a priority and in so doing inspire a new generation to leave a living legacy for our city.
You are invited to share the DUCT calendars message of Love and Hope this Christmas with family, friends and colleagues. Purchase a beautiful 14 page A3 calendar including fourteen artworks from this year’s campaign.
The calendars include twelve messages from our children to love our rivers and encouragement to work together for the restored health of our rivers. A special feature is the inclusion of all the environmental days.
Calendars cost R110 00 and will be available for collection at the DUCT office in Pietermaritzburg from early January. Electronic orders (email) to the DUCT office and pre-payment are a pre-requisite. To order and make payment for your calendar please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DUCT actively encourages and supports any other organization, whether government, civil society or private sector, which is engaged in work which will help to rehabilitate and conserve the uMsunduzi River, the uMngeni River, or any of their tributaries.
You are encouraged to plan an active environmental agenda for 2013 and through the DUCT ‘Mayday for Rivers’ art and cultural campaign, bring about a collaborative effort focussed on the health of the Msunduzi and Mgeni rivers. After all “Healthy Rivers – Healthy communities’! What could be a more loving and lasting gift to give at Christmas time.
Here are a number of suggestions for making 2013 your commitment to river health!
- Become a DUCT Member! – and actively support river health in your own suburb!
- Join the DUCT 100 Club! – make a regular financial commitment to river health!
- Join a ‘Mayday for Rivers’ river walk in May as part of the International Walking for Rivers Campaign.
- Register your school for the 2013 DUCT ‘Mayday for Rivers’ Art Campaign ! – Help raise our children’s voices for a beautiful, safe and healthy environment to play in!
- Follow the ‘Mayday for Rivers’ blog at https://umngeniriverwalk.wordpress.com
- Join the annual Clean-up Campaign in September! Organise a group in our annual campaign in the third week of September.
- Organise a ‘River Care Day’ and learn how to do Mini SASS! – Have fun while learning about rivers!
- Form a DUCT Eco-Club! – Participate in River Health activities at your school!
- Talk ‘Heart to Heart’ about river health! Show that you care!
- Adopt a River! – Form a Community Action Group and get into action!
- Take part in a DUCT Trail Run Series! Support this fundraising exercise in our beautiful wild spaces!
- Become involved in our Business Socio-Environmental Responsibility Programme! Contribute to a collaborative socio-environmental education initiative for PMB/Howick.
For more information phone DUCT on 033-3457571 or contact:
- Finance and Admin Manager: Caroline Clover email@example.com
- Art and Cultural Campaign: Pandora Long firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eco-Clubs: Wendy Ngcobo email@example.com
- Clean Up Campaign & River Health: John Butler firstname.lastname@example.org
- DUCT Durban: Bart Fokkens email@example.com
- DUCT Howick: Penny Rees firstname.lastname@example.org